Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Amazing Love

"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.  by this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."  - John 13:34-35

Every time one of our kids gets sick I manage to get it too.  When Haven came down with her latest cold, I doubled up on my use of hand sanitizer and prayed that I wouldn't be a recipient of her germs, but it was probably wishful thinking considering the fact that she was sneezing in my face.  Anyhow, Haven's crud hit me on Tuesday morning.  Tuesday's therapy sessions were so difficult.  Since Haven wasn't feeling well, she was very uncooperative.  In addition, Levi was determined to get my attention at all costs.  I spent much of the day working with him on character building issues like self control, obedience, thankfulness, and cheerfulness.  :-)  Since I was feeling ill, every effort seemed like I was running a marathon.  By the time my family returned to RMH (Ronald McDonald House) following the Akron Aeros game, I was feeling pretty poorly.

I am so thankful that Aaron was able to take off work to help me here--what a great partner I have!  Aaron originally planned on being here for Thursday's therapy sessions so he could learn from the therapists how to help Haven with therapeutic activities at home.  He is relieved to have two days of "training" and to get to spend time with Haven. (Another bonus was that he was "available" to change the first stinky diaper in seven days.  Ewww....sorry, dear!).

My experiences this week remind me that God uses others to care for us.  He used Ruth to care for Naomi, Jonathon to help David, John to care for His mother, Paul to care for the churches, and in James 1 He commands all believers to look after orphans and widows.  As our family was discussing this topic today, Micah reminded me that we can see God's hand of help in our national history like when God used Squanto to help the Pilgrims.  There are so many more examples!  We have cried tears of joy and thanksgiving at the loving support of so many who have encouraged our family through their demonstrations of the love of Christ.  God has used so many loving people to care for our family.  We have been blessed with meals, child care, hospital visits, hospital help, house cleaning, gift cards for gas and food, and gifts of cash to help with bills, meals, and travel.  In our darkest hours, God used His people to lift us up and encourage us to "press on".  And there are literally hundreds of brothers and sisters in Christ lifting up our little girl and family in prayer--from various local churches to believers around the world.  They are fulfilling Jesus' command from John chapter 13 to love one another.  When that fact really sinks in and hits me I am overcome with awe at the awesome God that sovereignly directs it all!  His care and love for us is absolutely amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment