-2 Corinthians 12:9-10
Blessings
by Laura Story
We pray for blessings, we pray for peace
Comfort for family, protection while we sleep
We pray for healing, for prosperity
We pray for your mighty hand to ease our suffering.
All the while You hear each spoken need
Yet love us way too much to give us lesser things
'Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears?
What if a thousand sleepless nights
Are what it takes to know You're near?
What if trials of this life
Are Your mercies in disguise?
We pray for wisdom, Your voice to hear
We cry in anger when we cannot feel You near
We doubt Your goodness, we doubt Your love
As if every promise from Your Word is not enough
And all the while You hear each desperate plea
And long that we'd have faith to believe
'Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears?
What if a thousand sleepless nights
Are what it takes to know You're near?
What if trials of this life
Are Your mercies in disguise?
When friends betray us, when darkness seems to win
We know that pain reminds this heart
This is not, this is not our home
It's not our home
'Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears?
What if a thousand sleepless nights
Are what it takes to know You're near?
What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst
This world can't satisfy?
And what if trials of this life
The rain, the storms, the hardest nights
Are Your mercies in disguise?
Laura Story's song, "Blessings" is a family favorite. Just a week prior to Haven's surgery we listened to this song probably ten times on our way to piano lessons and sang along with the CD, memorizing every line. More than music, I love 'teachable moments.' So, on the way to deliver our oldest four children to my parent's home for a sleep-over the night prior to Haven's surgery Aaron and I played this song for them. After listening, we reminded them that although they were sad that we were to be separated as a family for the next few days we knew that God was in control and that His Almighty hand was on us all. We challenged our kiddos to watch for blessings over the next several days.
Do you ever feel like God is preparing you for something? Well, that night on the way home from our conversation with the kids, I had this uneasy feeling that I was the one who would be struggling to look for the blessings over the next few days. Looking back, I believe that God used Laura's song to prepare my heart for what was about to occur. I can now see His finger prints in various situations leading up to Haven's surgery; how He prepared my heart to face the storm and to consider that it might actually lead to blessings.
My initial reaction to Haven's diagnosis was one of questioning. It was so unbelievable to me that the daughter whose love and trust I had battled to win was facing a life of uncertainty. I had so many questions for God: How and why did this happen? Why was God allowing it? Why us? Why Haven? With such rare odds for a stroke during this surgery, why had we won the 'reverse lottery' (you know, the one that no one wants to win)? Why had He allowed this to happen to our daughter after we had obediently worked relentlessly to bring her home?
Days later, I clearly remember rocking an inconsolable Haven in the PICU on Easter Sunday morning, praying for Haven and the rest of our family while pondering Jesus' greatest gift of all to mankind - His life on the cross to cover our sins. I remember coming to this realization:
My initial reaction to Haven's diagnosis was one of questioning. It was so unbelievable to me that the daughter whose love and trust I had battled to win was facing a life of uncertainty. I had so many questions for God: How and why did this happen? Why was God allowing it? Why us? Why Haven? With such rare odds for a stroke during this surgery, why had we won the 'reverse lottery' (you know, the one that no one wants to win)? Why had He allowed this to happen to our daughter after we had obediently worked relentlessly to bring her home?
Days later, I clearly remember rocking an inconsolable Haven in the PICU on Easter Sunday morning, praying for Haven and the rest of our family while pondering Jesus' greatest gift of all to mankind - His life on the cross to cover our sins. I remember coming to this realization:
"I deserve nothing. Haven deserves nothing. If that single act on the cross is all He ever did for me/us, it's enough because I didn't even deserve that. Everything that He gives me beyond that moment in history is a bonus: my life, my husband, my children, a home, food, friends, vehicles, church buildings, freedom to practice my faith, etc. Yet, I know God loves me because His sacrifice for my eternal salvation was His Son. I don't think I could sacrifice my child for anyone, but the Creator of this world gave His Son for me. It's enough. I'm loved and I'm thankful."I know my family is not the only family out there struggling through a crisis. I am here to tell you that although sometimes God allows devastating events to happen, He still loves us, He is definitely still in control, and He definitely has a plan that involves our good and His glory. Read Romans 8. In our humanness we cannot fully comprehend what His plans and purposes are, but we can rest in the peace of a God who is faithful to His promises, always in control, and always seeking reconciliation with those who would love Him in return. Some don't believe that, but that's clearly what Scripture teaches. Please remember that in the storms that you face God will be there loving you through them. You don't have to do it alone, I sure haven't...
| OT on Wednesday. The fun tunnel made crawling not so loathsome. |
| PT on Thursday--notice we are up on our knees and reaching with support on the left arm. |
| PT on Thursday. Haven needs to significantly strengthen leg muscles. |
| Therapy Assistant Eden wears a dress to encourage Haven to work on dressing skills. |
| Haven is learning to sit and focus on intentional play and communication for longer periods of time. |
| Haven is learning that it is okay to drink from a cup. Micah gives a demo on proper technique--his incredible patience should earn the Big Brother of the Century Award. |
No comments:
Post a Comment