To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace. - Ecclesiastes 3:1-8
| Haven takes a break during PT Saturday afternoon. |
Saturday wraps up our first "full" week of therapy and Haven has shown steady progress again today.
Speech:
She initiated sign language for "more", spoke several words (well, a word is "moh" for "more" for example--but vocalizations nonetheless), chose one toy over the other, and drank thickened juice among some other things. Haven's best word is 'no.' She has been using it liberally. When her therapists tell her to do something, Haven says no. Actually, the only thing that Haven doesn't say 'no' to is food!
Occupational Therapy:
Big sister Eden joined us today and was a big help during therapy. She worked in conjunction with the "real" therapist to help Haven learn to grasp toys and move them to different places. She was grasping Eden's crazy putty with both hands and pulling it apart. These bi-lateral movements, and holding head up are good signs! But she tires quickly and needs breaks.
Physical Therapy:
Haven took baby steps with help from her therapist to walk to Daddy several times and did not scream when holding a standing position. This video tells the story better than words. Enjoy.
In other news, our Chipotle lunch was a tasty break from the hospital cafeteria :). Thanks to the Forrest family for the gift card. We discovered a Chipotle about 2 miles from the hospital. I only ate half of my meal, so I saved the rest for tomorrow's lunch. YUM! Why is food so comforting? Even Haven has been savoring meal time. I don't really understand why she is so excited about eating baby food. I guess anything is better than starving!
Yesterday Aaron brought the kids up to visit Haven after school. A friend made us dinner, so Aaron packed it up to share with me. It was nice to eat a homemade meal. I haven't been home for mealtime since Haven's surgery. Frankly, the hospital food is losing it's appeal, so it was a welcome change! Aaron spent the night with Haven to give me a break. Haven did not sleep well and was extremely cranky this morning. I guess she missed her Mama! Our nurse gave her some Tylenol this afternoon and that seems to have taken the edge off of the crankiness. We think that she may be having some pain at times. Of course, it's hard to tell since she can't talk.
You would think that going home would be restful, but so far it's been stressful. Each time I return to the hospital I feel disappointed that my time with my four oldest children was so short and filled with interruptions. The drive home is always so tiring and I always have to throw in a load of laundry (Haven's clothing and my own) as soon as I walk in the door so I can dry or hang it before bedtime. Even more frustrating is the fact that I'm unable to relax until I take a shower. I have too many nurse friends who have given me the creeps about hospital germs. Thanks, Nicole Limburg! :-) Anyhow, Levi was feeling ill last evening. At about 11 p.m. I ended up holding a trash can under him while he vomited. Unfortunately, I forgot about his milk allergy when allowing him to choose a snack in the cafeteria earlier in the evening AND I allowed him a sweet treat without realizing how little dinner he actually ate. Lesson learned! In our home Aaron has volunteered for the position of the 'vomit police'. This means, if you feel like you may need to vomit, go to Dad, not Mom! In return for his kindness to me, I handle boogers because they make Aaron gag. It's a great arrangement! Needless to say, moments like the vomit incident make me miss my spouse more. I'm not lazy. I just miss how we look out for one another when we are together. When counting my blessings, I am thankful this is just a season in our lives. If I had to live this way forever I would be a mess! I miss my husband!
Since tomorrow is Sunday, we'll be taking a day of rest from blogging. To my church family - I will miss you tomorrow and will be praying that you would be refreshed and encouraged in your walk with our Lord. Aaron and I hope to have a new update for everyone on Monday. Until then, we pray that you will take baby steps in your own lives and take comfort in the fact that our heavenly father sends us seasons in His perfect time.
No comments:
Post a Comment