Friday, April 12, 2013

Moving On



"Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against your soul."  - 1 Peter 2:11

Today was a pretty exciting day for Haven and me.  We had many doctor visits as everyone wanted to check their little patient one last time.  We also saw a couple of social workers, three therapists, and many, many other people who are coordinating our move to outpatient therapy throughout the day.  Haven's therapy sessions didn't go quite as spectacularly today as they did yesterday.  I blame it on the fact that we didn't get much sleep last night.  For various reasons, Haven couldn't settle down.  Anyhow, although this mom is completely exhausted, I'm excited too.  If all goes well, tonight is Haven's last night in the hospital.  Tomorrow we have three therapy sessions and then, after twenty six days, Haven will be released to go home.  I realize our stint at home will be brief, but I just can't wait to have my entire family under one roof for the first time in almost a month.  I am so emotional just thinking about it!



Moving on to next week, I am a bit apprehensive about moving into Ronald McDonald House (RMH).  I'm nervous about Haven's transition to outpatient therapy as well.  It wearies me a bit thinking about starting over with new therapists and social workers, new routine, and a new living space and foods that we are unused to.  I'm growing increasingly weary of living out of a suitcase and having my days scheduled for me.  I'm weary of being away from home.  I miss my husband, my children, my friends, my church family, my comfortable bed, and my freedom.  I pray that the time at home this weekend will serve to encourage me, not to make me want to cling to all that is comfortable.

RMH is a huge blessing, but no one wants to stay there for the rest of their life.  RMH is temporary - but home is where we are supposed to be.  I have no plans to move a lot of belongings into RMH, spend time fixing up our room, or growing attached to the place.  I think we will be very happy to leave there when the time comes.  I guess I feel about RMH the way God wants us to feel about life here on earth: it is temporary; it's not our forever home.  The Bible teaches that a longing to be in our eternal home in heaven is natural and proper for the Christian.  But when we get comfortable in this life it becomes harder to detach from worldly pursuits.  We are literally aliens and strangers (pilgrims) in this world.  Don't get comfortable in this life!

Health update:
Today's therapy sessions were good, but Haven seemed very tired.  She did not want to walk much, but was willing to sit and play.  I don't remember seeing her fall down from a sitting position all day!  That is definitely great news!  Haven's swallow study went fine.  She has been upgraded to a toddler diet which means no more blended pizza, etc.  We are so happy for her!  I am encouraged that Haven seems to be doing better with liquids.  We still have to thicken them, but not as much.  Thanks so much to those who have been praying for this.  It is a huge relief to know that I don't have to blend foods for Haven.


No comments:

Post a Comment